Sunday, April 22, 2012

Growing Sunflowers ...

For some fantastic reason I am a World's reference for growing Sunflowers. Many people do internet searches on the topic and land here. I take this job seriously. Here we go again ...

Last Thursday evening I spread three packets of seeds out on this "Luxurious Dinner Napkin" ~ an inside joke between my Husband and I. One brand of these handy naps actually says this on the package and for the past 30 years when we're out of them, whoever puts them on the grocery list writes it out exactly like that : )

These particular Sunflower Seeds are the Mammoth Gray type, also referred to as Hellanthus Annus. A few fun facts: We're talking about the genus of plants comprising 52 species in the Asterascae family, all of which are native to North America. Some species, Helianthus Annuus, the Sunflower, and Helianthus Tuberosus, the Jerusalem artichoke, are cultivated in Europe and other parts of the world as food crops and ornamental plants. It's good to know these things. Thank you, Wickipedia.

After spreading them out and covering them up within the napkin I gently sprayed them with pretty warm water and put them on an indoor shelf that gets direct sunlight from a southern exposure for about 4 hours per day. I sprayed them again both Friday and last night. They will be ready to plant in another few days or so ... you will know when it's time. I'm going to plant mine in tall black pots outside, except for a few, which will go in a pot on my Sun Porch. I usually plant 5 seedlings in my pots which are 12" by 12" square. Once planted in a very sunny spot you will care for them like most outdoor potted plants in Summer ... water before they totally dry out with Miracle Bloom sprinkled lightly around the top of the soil, give them a nice light shower occasionally, talk to them, tell them you love them. They will grow from 7 to 9 feet in pots and 9 to 12 feet in the ground.

Please let me know if I can answer specific questions. I love my Job. And watch for more photographs and updates. Love from The Prairie ...

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it funny what brings people to your blog? I am apparently a world authority on those family stickers that people put on the back windows of their cars...I wrote about them ONCE, but it's one of the main search topics that brings people to my blog. I don't get it. (At least you seem to BE an authority on sunflowers, unlike me with those crazy stickers!)

    ReplyDelete