Monday, December 14, 2009

Wendy ...

Last night we took Mom to a worldwide candle lighting ceremony at Immaculate Conception, our home church. The Compassionate Friends organization puts this on for parents who have lost a child. People around the world lit candles at 7:00 pm for one hour, totalling 24 hours of thought and prayer for our loved ones.

We all took Wendy's photo to the Alter ... Mom lit the candle and said Wendy's name. Hearing it and seeing it in this way was so painful. My grief came out in the form of a sob that I was unable to repress. Everyone came forward with their photographs. Everyone cried deeply.

I dreamed of Wendy all night. I still can not believe it is true that she has passed away.


3 comments:

  1. this brought tears to my eyes just reading it. I know of your deep love and connection to Wendy. It saddens me thinking of your loss, of Wendy's loss.
    I always wanted a sister...still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laurie,
    I feel very sad for you and your Mother. This remembrance for a lost child is heart wrenching. I cannot imagine the loss you feel.
    Take Care My Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm grateful that you went to this ceremony at your church, and I wish all churches would hold such a service. The fact that you & your family went together is lovely indeed. What a great tribute to your beautiful sister. I am so sorry that she isn't here with you. Sending loving thoughts and {{{hugs}}} from here.

    ReplyDelete