Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Brussels Sprout Boogie ...

This awesome veggie was grown as early as the 1200's in Belgium. In the 1800's French settlers brought them to Louisiana. But these here came right out of our garden yesterday afternoon!

Ron laughed at me when I said I was heading out to harvest with my paring knife. He's feeling better you see ... and he was like, "What's up with that"? And I said I was going to sit next to each of the four plants and cut each sprout, one by one, off of it's stalk. I had obviously not peered under those enormous leaves in quite some time and had no idea we had such a wonder crop. So he said, "I doubt that, Goof Ball"! "You take all the leaves off and pull the stalk out of the ground ... then you get to use your paring knife"!

So off I went ... the sun was shining, it was only about 50 degrees and a bit windy. I had Ruby Thursday with me and she laid in the pepper and eggplant patch with her nose in the air, taking in all the wonderful fall smells. The stalks sure looked a lot taller than I thought they were going to be ... like 3 feet. So I got to work pulling the leaves off and you could have knocked me over with a feather. I had no idea there were that many under there.

They say that 85% of the Sprouts we grow here in the US are for the frozen food market. I think the other 15% is here at our place!

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea they were so pretty on the stalk. What do the leaves look like? These photos and facts are such fun. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful! And they look sooo yummy - I can't WAIT to have my own garden in a couple of years! woo!

    PS: what is your favorite way to eat them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a whole lotta gas!
    ;0o

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, the leaves are like a full grown cabbage leaf ... huge!

    Techno Mama, steamed gently and never mushy, with olive oil, salt, pepper and a bit of basalmic vinegar.

    Podlet, I know you like them now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow -- I have never seen a brussels sprout on the stalk. In fact, I didn't know they grew on stalks. I thought they just popped out of the ground like a cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love brussel sprouts. That's the first time I've seen them on the stalk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete